IB Geography Score Calculator

IB Geography Score Scale

The IB Geography score scale transforms raw exam scores into final course grades ranging from 1 (lowest) to 7 (highest). This table below breaks down how these raw scores translate into IB grades. Note that the specific thresholds can vary slightly each year based on overall student performance and exam difficulty.

GradeScore Range (SL)Score Range (HL)

Students should refer to their specific subject reports or consult with their teachers for the most accurate and recent scoring boundaries.

FAQs Section

Common Questions

1. How is the final IB Geography grade determined?

The final grade in IB Geography combines scores from internal assessments (IA), which typically account for 20% of the total score, and the final exams, which make up the remaining 80%. This structure is similar for both Higher Level (HL) and Standard Level (SL) courses.

2. Are there different grade boundaries for HL and SL Geography?

Yes, the grade boundaries for HL are generally set higher than for SL. This reflects the increased complexity and depth of content covered at the Higher Level.

3. How can I improve my IB Geography score?

Focus on comprehensive study habits, regular revision of key concepts, and practice with past exam papers. Additionally, actively participate in fieldwork and ensure your internal assessments are thoroughly researched and well-presented.

4. What happens if I’m close to the next grade boundary?

IB grades are not typically rounded; however, if your score is extremely close to the next boundary, your overall performance, including IA contributions, could influence the final decision. It’s important to aim for clarity and precision in all assessments to maximize your score potential.